The best way to teach your kids how to recycle is to set the example for them to follow. Kids are always eager to learn so it is perfect time to teach them how to recycle. Teach your children that earth is their home and thus it must be nurtured and treated with respect. Explain to them about the interconnection and interdependence between the mother earth and the mankind
Start out by teaching the kids 3 R’s of waste management – Reuse, Reduce & Recycle.
- Start out with the mantra: buy and use less! Practice to buy only what you need and use all of what you buy.
- Select packages wisely. Consider the material used for the package for the product, whether it is biodegradable or not. Always opt to buy combo-packages or in bulk rather than single-serve products. This reduces the amount of waste of packaging materials.
- Refuse store bags especially plastic ones. Carry with you a nice cloth bag which can be used again and again while reducing plastic waste.
- Grow a small home garden. This will substantially decrease the consumption of processed or packaged food.
- Build a compost. Throw all your household waste into the compost as it can be later used for providing nutrients to the plants through the soil.
- Teach your kids how one man’s trash can be another man’s treasure! Show them how to make best out of waste through various crafts or with objects used on a daily basis.
- Use cloth napkins instead of paper tissues.
- To replace anything large and reusable, one can always donate it to charitable organization like churches, orphanages, etc.
- Buy cloth diapers instead of disposable ones as they are better for the baby’s health as well as the environment.
- Register your kids in a recycling program in your community, school or online.
- Ask your child to separate paper and cardboard waste from plastics and metals and label them accordingly and exchange them for money as money is a good motivator for any good deed.
- Teach your kids to make recycled paper crafts or paper maché toys.
- Make your child participate in community activities like Earth day or Clean-Up drives.
- Explain to your kids why it is crucial to take the job of recycling seriously because while helping the earth, we help ourselves. Show them how household items can become treasures when used in a different way
You can teach your child how to recycle and how to be kind to Mother Earth. Recycling is easy to do. Let your children come up with ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle all on their own, they are certain to come up all sorts of ideas on their own.